Interesting FACTS about the Hostile Colorado Hailstorm
Kansas is the Hail State, but the Colorado Front Range is usually called the Hail Capitol because the Colorado Springs to Denver metro area gets more severe hail events than anywhere else in the county with an average of 13 per year. That’s an astonishing number! One major reason why residential roof replacement is needed more often in Colorado than in other states.
According to 9news.com, hail falls faster and hits harder in Colorado compared to lower elevations. A one-inch hailstone that hits the ground at 50 mph at sea level, hits at 54 mph in Denver. That can potentially lead to greater damage to your roof.
When hail hits and damages your roof, it can be upsetting because your roof as the covering or shield of your home, as well as your other personal properties can be damaged. Last June 2018, hail hits hard in Aurora, Colorado. Due to this uncontrolled phenomenon, many homeowners need to have a roof inspection to evaluate the damage and get a roof repair or replacement if necessary. The damage might not be as easy to spot as you would hope. Some people might think the hail wasn’t that bad. Until the leaks or loose shingles start to appear. Our advice: don’t wait!
7 Signs that your Residential Roof Needs Replacement
- There are shingles in your gutters,
- You see lifting or pitting in your shingles,
- Your gutters or any part of the facade appear damaged,
- There is a separation between the gutter and the roof,
- Your shingles appear to be losing their color or are “thin” in spots,
- You find a large amount of debris in the gutter downspout/runoff, and;
- You have any doubts that your roof is OK.
4 Factors in Choosing a Company for Residential Roof Replacement
Changing or replacing roofs can be expensive, if the damage to your roof is particularly widespread, for example, if a tree has landed on your roof and a large section needs to be replaced, the job will be a lot more expensive than if it’s just replacing a few tiles. Especially if a roofer needs to erect scaffolding to allow proper access, the repair costs can stretch to several thousand dollars. Residential roof replacement is a big job, not to mention a big investment. Before you open your wallet, you want to make sure the roofing company you choose will deliver a high-quality product that’s made to last. The roof repair must be done by a licensed roofing contractor. When choosing among the various roofing companies in your area, look for a company that has the following:
- EXPERIENCE – it is having experience in the field of residential roof replacement of the crew that will work on the job. How many properties or residential houses they worked on. Also, how long they’re doing such a job or the installation of roofs.
- LONGEVITY – it is important to note how long the roofing company itself has been in business. It can be a basis if you can trust the company in dealing with residential roof replacement. Also, you may check their business permits to make sure that their company is legit. It is a big help to you as a client if you have complaints about their service.
- PRICE – It is definitely a major factor in choosing a roofing company. It is important to get what you pay for because again, we are not talking about a few bucks here. If you have the budget, go for the best roof materials that can withstand the extreme weather of Colorado. But if you want to settle with the cheaper ones, certainly it can cost more in the long run.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE – It is important as a customer to experience good service where you can freely ask questions about your residential roof replacement. They can sell you their product (your roof) but also they will give you exemplary service. It is important if a roofing company can answer your inquiries about their products and services, can satisfy you as their customer, and can assist you personally or can be responsive even through messages or phone calls. And also it is important that they can assure you that they can make your roof replacement on or before your target date.
How much does a residential roof replacement costs?
According to homeadvisor.com, the average homeowner spends about $8,114 for residential roof replacement, and most spend within a range of $5,356 and $10,889. There are certain cities like Denver that are higher than average at $9,000, and others that are below average like Austin, TX at $7,000. The cost breaks down to about 40% for materials and 60% for the labor.
Still, residential roof replacement costs vary on its damages. For example, tile replacement is when you might have a missing or damaged roof tile which is letting in water. If this is the case, it can cost around $200-$1000 for a roofer to substitute a handful of cement, clay, or slate tiles, and can be done relatively quickly, typically in a few hours.
Next is, Flat roof repairs, when it comes to flat roof repair options, simple patch repairs for flat roofs such as those on garages or extensions can cost an average of $400. Yet, even with the nature of flat roof repair costs, it can sometimes make sense to replace the entire roof.
Another is the Flashing repair or Lead flashing on your roof helps protect the edge of your roof, where tiles intersect with the brickwork like your chimney. If this becomes damaged for any reason, it can cause similar problems to missed tiles or allowing rain into your house. Fixing damaged flashing should cost a similar amount to missing tiles – a roof flashing repair costs to replace a meter or so of flashing will cost between $132 and $200.
Some homes can develop a sag, where the ridge bows in the middle below the height at the gable ends. This can happen for different reasons, for example, if the roof tiles were replaced at some point with a heavier alternative which has slowly weighed down the timber frame supporting the roof. It is what you called a sagging roof, this repair costs can vary – if extra weight is the problem, additional joists or rafters can be added to shore up the additional weight, which can cost between $1,328 and $2,657 depending on how many are needed. Sometimes, a roof can sag because it has become waterlogged and the internal structure is irreparably damaged. If this is the case, the entire roof will be replaced, which can cost anywhere from $6,642 to $15,943 depending on the size of the property. Lastly is the leak repair, typically either the result of missing tiles, or damaged flashing, so the pricing of these fixes will depend on the nature of the leak.
Aside from different damages or repairs, residential roof replacement can be expensive if the damage in your roof is serious and if the large section needs to be replaced. A hail storm is a great reminder to have your roof inspected. Branches and hail can take a toll on your roof. All Starr Roofing, as your local roofer is always ready to help in providing roof inspections. Our company is trusted in terms of your roof problems. Our staff will assist and help you with all the services we offer. We contracted different projects in the country like residential villages/houses. We have employees that were all fully-trained individuals and competent in doing their job. As a customer, you can get what you pay for. We can meet your satisfaction and can finish your roof repair or replacement on time.
Replacing a roof can be expensive but here in All Starr, we don’t want anyone to be left behind when it comes to your family’s comfort and safety. Rest assured that you get what you pay for and more. If you need to file insurance paperwork for your roof, our expert team is here to help. Call us for roof inspections, roof repairs, and roof insurance claims.
We’re experienced in providing services for roof repairs, maintenance and inspection for all different types of residential roofing projects. Click here for more about residential roofing services.
ROOF INSURANCE CLAIMS
Repairing and inspecting storm damage is critical to protecting your home and family. All Starr Roofing performs all levels of your roof insurance claim. Click here for more about roof insurance claims.